It’s not about life purpose…
… it’s about doing important things with the time we have. (Not all the time, sometimes we really can binge watch Netflix and not feel bad about it*)
I am one of the weird ones that knew what I wanted to do for a career since age five. I still like the idea that it’s not about “finding your purpose” (singular) but more about doing important things (plural) – this is way more freeing than the notion of one “career soul mate”. Plus, soul mate/purpose isn’t the way our world works anymore. Changing it up is actually a good thing as long as you are doing important things (important to you, your family, your community, your world).
If you feel like you need a career change / or more important ways to spend your time, Mark Manson has great questions to ask yourself (be warned there is some “poo” talk coming):
1. WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOR OF SHIT SANDWICH AND DOES IT COME WITH AN OLIVE?
2. WHAT IS TRUE ABOUT YOU TODAY THAT WOULD MAKE YOUR 8-YEAR-OLD SELF CRY?
3. WHAT MAKES YOU FORGET TO EAT AND POOP?
4. HOW CAN YOU BETTER EMBARRASS YOURSELF?
5. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD?
6. GUN TO YOUR HEAD, IF YOU HAD TO LEAVE THE HOUSE ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, WHERE WOULD YOU GO AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
7. IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DIE ONE YEAR FROM TODAY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO AND HOW WOULD YOU WANT TO BE REMEMBERED?
If you are intrigued by the questions above, check out his full article. It’s a good read.
If you are looking to switch careers or explore a creative opportunity, email me. That’s my jam.
*Everyone needs downtime. It’s good for the soul and better than Facebook